DRIVING INSTRUCTOR TRAINING
Need a change of career? Want a job that will give you a steady income with the freedom to enjoy a balanced lifestyle? Becoming a Driving Instructor could be the right choice for you...
We run Driving Instructor Training Courses for students in Southampton, Portsmouth, Andover and Salisbury and have a fantastic franchise package to offer. We offer in depth and high quality Driving Instructor Training Courses that focus on building skills for life, not just going through the motions of passing a test. Lendrums Driving School is a official training body under the ORDIT Accreditation (Official Register of Driving Instructor Training).
Being a driving instructor is an incredibly rewarding career - you can be your own boss, choose working hours to suit your lifestyle and meet lots of new people. Plus, we are always looking for new instructors, so if you fancy joining the Lendrum's Driving School, read on...
Pay As You Learn - no heavy upfront costs. Plan for your new career without being out of pocket.
Be Inspired - John's Story
In 2008, our founder, John Lendrum, was looking for a new challenge and a job that was more fulfilling. So, he became a Driving Instructor, and he hasn't looked back since! John loves the freedom that Driver Instructing gives him, he enjoys meeting lots of new people and he gets a sense of pride and satisfaction when his pupils pass their driving test - something that very few jobs can offer. Fast forward ten years and now John is running a very successful and growing Driving School that is planning further expansion and success in the future. Becoming a driving instructor really has changed John's life and it could for you too.
Benefits of Becoming a Driving Instructor
If you need your work to fit around other commitments in your life such as children, family, other jobs or education, driving instruction could be a good choice for you. Offer lessons at times that suit you and enjoy flexible hours during the day, in the evening or at weekends.
Be Your Own Boss
Some people are better suited to working for themselves on a self employed basis. Becoming a driving instructor means you set the rules and have more control over your earning potential.
You'll work with students from the very beginning of their driving experience right through to their driving test, guiding them through the learning process and helping them to develop the skills and knowledge they need to drive safely and with confidence. This in turn gives them freedom that they will enjoy for a lifetime and you'll feel an immense sense of pride when your students present their pass certificate to you!
Cost Effective Training
Training to be a driving instructor is extremely cost effective compared to other vocations. Get in touch with us for a detailed price, and options to suit all.
Quick to Train
With some people completing our Driving Instructor course in just 6 months, launching your new career needn't take a long time. Take regular lessons and put in lots of practice and you'll be teaching your first students in no time at all.
How to Get Started
To train to become a driving instructor you will need a full UK or European Union / European Economic Area unrestricted car driving licence, held for at least 3 years, not been disqualified from driving at any time in the four years before you train, have the ability to read a car number plate at a distance of 27.5 metres (90 feet) and be a 'fit and proper' person, in the opinion of the DVSA.
Any motoring or non-motoring convictions will be taken into account when you're assessed for inclusion on the Register. You'll also need an enhanced level Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check, which we will help with.
Driving Instructor Course Details
Our Driving Instructor Course develops and trains you to become an Approved Driving Instructor and aims to provide you with all the information, support and guidance required to run a successful and sustainable driving school business.
The course includes various learning tools and techniques to help you succeed, including: -
- Practice sessions with a qualified Driving Instructor Trainer
- Lesson Plans
- Home Study
The course consists of 70 hours of instruction in 3 to 4 parts depending on the route you take and all teaching is provided at a pace that works for you with the training taking anything from 6 to 18 months to complete.
All of our training has been developed from extensive experience working closely with the Driver & Vehicle Standards Agency as well as other driving instructors, trainees and students.
Part 1 – Theory
- Multiple choice questions
- Hazard perception tests
- 5 hours Home study with Lendrum's workbooks and manuals provided
Part 2 – Driving Ability
- Demonstrate a high standard of driving competence, techniques, anticipation and consideration for other road users.
- 1 hour driving test and you are only allowed 6 minors.
- 15 hours of one to one training with your Lendrums driving instructor trainer
Part 3 – Instructional Ability
- Demonstrate that you can impart your knowledge to others.
- Instructional techniques learnt for Instruction, Prompting, Independent driving and Client Centred Learning approaches, you will be provided with an illustration manual *and lesson plans to help.
- 40 hours of in car training as a minimum.
Part 4 - Trainee Driving Instructor Licence (Optional)
- Once you have passed parts 1 and 2 of the Driving Instructor course and 40 hours instructional training, you have the option to apply for a DVSA Trainee licence. This allows you to gain experience teaching before you take your Part 3 Instructional Ability Test. The licence lasts 6 months, during which time we will provide an additional 20 hours training. A major benefit of the Trainee Driving Instructor Licence is that you can provide driving lessons and start earning before you complete your training.
Course Cost: Please contact us to discuss options
Driving Tests: Theory Test, Part 2 Driving Test, Part 3 instructional test and Trainee Licence are not inlcuded in the above cost as paid directly to the DVSA,
* Part 3 - Training Manual will be provided at a cost of £50 which will be used for training and once qualified.
After passing all three parts of the DVSA tests, you'll be awarded a green badge indicating that you're a fully qualified driving instructor.